For quite some time now, there have been relentless debates questioning the superiority of South cinema and Bollywood, with some arguing in the favour of the former, while some argued in the favour of the latter. The undeniable fact is that both cinemas have produced some gems, and have produced some major disasters throughout history. However, it was Bollywood that was recognized globally until recently, and the time for South cinema to shine has now finally come.
While Bollywood is still memorable in its own way, there’s no doubt in the fact that South cinema has been dominating the country for the last few years, and here are a few facts to back it up. In a recent survey conducted, it was proved that six out of the ten highest grossing movies released in 2021 and 2022 are from the South, with the rankings as follows:
1. KGF Chapter 2 (Kannada) – Rs. 1228.3 Crores
2. RRR (Telugu) – Rs. 1131.1 Crores
3. Vikram (Tamil) – Rs. 400.2 Crores
4. Pushpa: The Rise (Telugu) – Rs. 369.9 Crores
5. The Kashmir Files (Hindi) – Rs. 344.2 Crore
6. Sooryavanshi (Hindi) – Rs. 291.8 Crores
7. Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 (Hindi) – Rs. 263.9 Crores
8. Beast (Tamil) – Rs. 227.3 Crores
9. Gangubai Kathiawadi (Hindi) – Rs. 203.9 Crores
10. Sarakaru Vaari Paata (Telugu) – Rs. 192.4 Crores
Apart from that, it has also been proved that South cinema is being watched the most on OTT platforms as well, with more movies from the South ranking in Netflix’s Top 10 list, when compared to Bollywood movies.
Most Recommended Video